Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

"immune Six-Reluctance of the Dead" The Walking Dead FanFiction by Lolita Lynn


“Immune 6 Reluctance of the Dead”

 

I didn’t really liked being looked at as a lab experiment but with all the tubes and wires and lead hooked to every exposed skin on my body, it was hard to see myself as anything but. The testing got underway the next day, luckily I didn’t have a hangover like Glenn, he sure can’t hold his liquor. Everyone was still sleeping in enjoying a secure night’s rest, something we haven’t had in months. Jenner and I were the only ones up and  Jenner moved about the lab like a school boy. He had been eyeing me all throughout the dinner last night and not really joining in the festivities but it was probably because he wanted to get the tests started right away. I can understand that. I just found out for sure that I’m immune but I started to have second thoughts about letting too many people know that as well. The group had to know, of course they were there when the results were read, but what about people outside of the group. Will this new found gift turn out to be a curse in disguise?

“So, what other tests can we run? I feel like you’ve taken a liter of blood from me already.” I said with a slight smile but I did feel a little dizzy. “I’m sorry, I promise I won’t take too much but I need to be very thorough. I also need to document everything. It’s not going to be easy and will be very extensive. I hope I won’t cause you much discomfort. You have to realize that I’m very grateful to have you here.”

Jenner’s response was somewhat comforting but mostly sounded rehearsed and forced. After hours of work I left to eat lunch. Jenner asked me to keep the leads on my head so he didn’t have to replace them, he was going to take pictures on my brain next. Joy, I thought. “You look funny.” Lizzy smiled as we ate the sandwiches Carol made. “I feel funny, Lizzy.” I told her the truth but with a weak smile as well. I couldn’t show her or the group my discomfort. They all seemed to treat me differently today, as if they know how important I am. I didn’t ask to be this way. I always seemed to remain unnoticed in my previous life before the world ended. I was simply one in billions, didn’t stand out and didn’t want to. I never liked being the center of attention and preferred a quiet corner instead of a stage.

There was no hiding now. “How are the test going?” Rick sat next to me and asked with concern. I found that Rick fell into the leadership role of the group by nature and not by design. He didn’t even know his family that he was searching for was with this group until he showed up. I envy the fact that he still had his loved ones but also pity him for that same reason as well. In this new world you could lose the ones you love in an instant. I didn’t plan on having Lizzy join me as well as find her way into my heart but now I can’t imagine losing her. Hopefully this so called cure that Jenner is trying to find can save her from a life as a walker. I don’t think I could put her down should she turn.

“It’s going okay. The test are intrusive to say the least and some hurt, but I think past the pain.” I say pity in Rick’s eyes in that moment again. “I’m sorry.” Was all he said, but it was enough. That he would feel sorry for me for having to go through this to benefit others. I pride myself on the fact that I don’t cry, and I wasn’t going to start now, but tears came close. Luckily Jenner walked in with a determined face and I knew he wanted to get started again. “Vanessa?” He asked. “Yeah, coming.” I stood and carried the wires from my leads with me and we went back into the lab that I was beginning to despise. 

I can see a light at the end of the tunnel now. I tried to hold out hope that there was some reason I was still alive, that my family was still alive, but being surrounded by walkers puts a damper on your longevity prospects. I still find it hard to believe this is the way of the world now. It seems like one minute I’m a Sherriff working a job and now I’m in the middle of a nightmare. Then we met someone like Vanessa Summers. A person immune to the terror around every corner; now at an CDC medical facility with a doctor working to find a cure. It almost seems meant to be.

I wander into the lab to get an update on Jenner’s progress. “So, what do you think? Anything so far?” “Rick, I didn’t hear you come in.” Jenner was startled and slightly agitated. “You okay? I mean, I know I’m no doctor but do you need help with anything?” I ask. “No, I’m…I’m just tired, that’s all. It’s a lot of work and little time.”  I look on the examine table and Vanessa was unconscious. She would have looked like a peaceful sleep save for the tubes and wires coming from her.

“How is she?” I’ve been concerned with Vanessa lately, she looked reluctant to tell us that she could be immune and even more reluctant to tell Jenner. “ Vanessa’s doing well. I have her sedated right now. I’m running test on her brain. I’m trying to localize specific patterns.” Jenner had taken the group earlier into the main control room to watch the experimental feed on “Patient TS-19” and the transformation her brain went through with the infection. It proved difficult to watch and know that could happen to all of them. “Do you really think you can find a cure?” Jenner looked at me with tired eyes. “This infection works like a bacteria, infecting the brain and killing it. If there is a way to stop that from taking place even if the person has been bitten, it would be in Vanessa’s brain.” I stared at the monitors for a moment, heard the constant beep of the heart and the hum of the machines. I didn’t know what I was looking at but with Jenner’s next words, it wasn’t good.

“Rick, can I ask you a question?” I turned to him. He sat back down on the stool, his white lab coat falling to each side. “Sure. Anything  I can do to help.” I wasn’t fully prepared for what he was going to ask of me. “If you had to sacrifice one person to save others, would you? Would you kill to save your son, your wife?” Jenner asked quietly and sincerely. “I’ve been doing that since I woke up from that coma. This world is full of dangers, the walkers just trying to eat you. I don’t remember how many people I’ve killed.” Jenner shook his head. “No, that’s not what I mean. You see, the answer to all of this,” he motioned at the lab and probably the world in general, “is located in this woman’s brain. Only, it’s not on the surface. I would have to dig down deep, very deep to get the samples I need. The truth of the matter is, Vanessa won’t survive the procedure. She’ll be brain dead but she would save all of our lives.”

“You mean to kill Vanessa?” My knees felt weak. “You can’t. You just…can’t!” I was getting loud. “But I have to. It’s not a decision I came to lightly. Trust me, I’ve tried everything and this is the only way. With her brain samples we can save ourselves and maybe all of human kind. Look around Rick! This is our extinction level event. We can’t outrun this. We can’t hide from it. All we can do it fight it and with Vanessa’s help we can.”

“How? By killing her? By cutting open her brain and watching her die?” I thought back to Vanessa as she saved our lives on the mountain side. She was a fierce fighter and an asset even more so that she’s immune. But to think about killing her just to save themselves…

“Does she know?” I asked Jenner. “No, not yet. I wanted…..I wanted to be sure.”  “You have to tell her. She has to decide.”  Jenner looked at me. “I’m afraid if she decides not to help.”  “So, she wants to live. Is that so bad?” I spoke as I walked to the door.  “It is bad, for the rest of us.” I had nothing left to say to Jenner and I walked out. I went straight to the kitchens and found a bottle of liquor, I didn’t care what it was as long as it was strong and mind numbing. This was not good. How could they asked Vanessa to die for them?

To be continued…..

No comments:

Post a Comment