Blog Archive

Monday, August 12, 2013

"Immune Two-Running from the Dead" The Walking Dead FanFiction by Lolita Lynn


“Immune 2 Running from the Dead”

Dead Day-7

 

 Back when the world made sense, I was Vanessa Summers, Medical Assistant and aspiring writer. Stuck in a dead end job filing paperwork with several unfinished novels with "great ideas" sitting uder a bed to collect dust. But now the world has been turned on end and the time for reinventing oneself is now. It has been a week since the initial outbreak of the dead walking. In that time, I killed my boyfriend, well ex-boyfriend, a few of my neighbors, a randon zombie at the gunless gun store, and a naked woman walking with her guts hanging out. I don't really know what's going on but I do know that if you're bitten, you turn. Depending on where the bite is seems to have some significance. Gregg and my neighbor were bit on the face and neck, they turned immediately. I can only assume being bit on your extremities would take longer to turn you. I was bit on the forearm, but it's been a week and I haven't turned into anything, except hungry. There was no getting close to the Walmart, Target, or even a smaller corner store. Zombies inhabited all those places. Anywhere there were a lot of people gathered had a mass amount of zombies. I stirred clear of those places. I found that the zombies were stronger than they looked and if they were to surround you, you were pretty much walker food. I tried to stay in open places, where I had an avenue of escape should the horde find me. This day was different, I was able to find food in an abandoned house but to my surprise I also found a child. She called out to me and I could see she was crying and afraid. For a split second, I entertained the idea of leaving her behind. Not my proudest moment but this world was dog eat dog now. How could I survive dragging a child along? Then again, how could she survive alone?

 

Her name was Elizabeth and she liked to be called Lizzy. She wore the school uniform of a catholic girl’s school nearby. This was her home, or it used to be. She's 11 and a half and walked home after the initial outbreak. It amazed me how she could make it this far. She had come home to join her family, but the house was as it is now, empty. I told her who I was and that I would help her to find her family. An impossible task, I know, but I needed to placate her. Truthfully, I expected to still turn any day now. The last thing I want to happen is to turn and feed on this child. I needed to find someone to take her off my hands for mine and Lizzy's sake. There was word that a safe place had been set up at the CDC in the city. It was a risk going there, but what choice do I have?

 

Walking along the road lined by trees to Atlanta, I learned a lot more about Lizzy. She's a pretty child with pale skin and big blue eyes. She said she liked my honey skin and brown eyes also. She especially liked my sword although I didn't let her touch it. We spoke in hushed tones as I wasn't sure as to how the walkers located their pray. Whether by sight, sound, or smell or maybe all of the above. I spotted a white, or used to be white, camper parked on a cliff face high above the winding road. I couldn't hear sounds of human life but I could smell meat roasting on a camp fire. Now either a deer was set ablaze and wandering the woods or someone was cooking. I chose to hope for the latter and we made our way up the hiking trail.

 

To my surprise, there was a camp there. There were people there. I don't know how well we'll be received, strangers in a strange new world, but I hoped there was still human decency. I needed to leave Lizzy with them, although she doesn't know it. In the few days I traveled with her, she seen so much more than an 11 and a half year old should. She needed somewhere safe to sleep and have some kind of a life, without me. A man walked up to me, my hand rested on the hilt of my sword at my side just in case. But he had a kind face and he wore the uniform, a bit tattered and torn, of a sherrif. He said his name was Rick and asked if we would like something to eat. Lizzy's stomach grumbled at the smell of the cooking meat and mine followed suit. I made that decision to leave Lizzy here with Rick, Shane, Lori and the others. They looked like they will care greatly for her, after I ate of course.

 

To be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment